Grants of up to $500.00 are available for educators for a thoughtfully presented classroom literacy project and/or library collection that increases children’s access to print, including multicultural texts that inspire learning in the classroom.
Any K-12 level educator who is a member of the Kentucky Reading Association. Applicants that are not current paid members of KRA will not be considered.
Applications due: 5:00PM EST on September 17, 2021
Grants awarded: October, 2021
Grant implementation: 2021-2022
The application consists of a description of the project idea, how it will be implemented and how its effectiveness will be measured. A proposed budget for the project, including an itemized list of books and materials to be used, is also required. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the application process.
Applications must be authored by the educator implementing the project.
Winning grant proposals demonstrate:
- Creativity in designing relevant and challenging projects for students and/or families involved;
- Clearly defined and reasonable project ideas that contribute to good teaching and/or literacy practices;
- Direct benefit to students, school and/or community which can be measured and replicated for benefit to others;
- Encourages active independent engagement of reading;
- Practices and materials represent diversity and inclusivity
- Objectives aligned to and support Kentucky’s newly revised standards
Priority will be given to those educators who are willing to share their knowledge and experience of this project through intent to submit a proposal to present at the KRA Annual Conference, write and submit a brief article for the KRA newsletter, or submit an article for the KRA journal.
Project Completion and Appraisal
Upon completion of their grant project or no later than December 31, 2022, each educator is required to send a written appraisal of the project. The appraisal is meant to aid both the educator and KRA in determining whether or not the project was successfully implemented. If an appraisal is not received, the educator will be ineligible for future grants.
NOTE: Receipts or PO’s are due by December 31, 2022.